Established in 1954 and recognized by the International Tennis Federation in 1986, the International Tennis Hall of Fame celebrates and preserves the history of tennis and tells the stories of tennis champions. It is housed in the historic Newport Casino, where the first U.S. National Men’s Singles Championship took place in 1881, and includes a museum and a tennis club. A major portion of the International Tennis Hall of Fame’s mission is preserving its collection of more than 25,000 artifacts documenting the history of tennis from the 12th century to the present, which it then uses in educational exhibitions. Recognizing the value of the Hall of Fame’s collections, the NEH has provided funding to help the institution preserve its memorabilia. In addition to helping the institute purchase environmental monitoring equipment—a necessity, as the museum is located in a 19th-century building—the NEH funded the assessment of over 200 scrapbooks documenting the history of tennis and the social history of the Newport Casino during the Gilded Age.
View By Location
Or View By Impact Area